Search This Blog

Sunday 18 October 2009

Self Initiated Brief





Our first brief of the third year was a choice of eight which were all exciting briefs. However, the brief that stood out straight away to me was the self initiated one. Immediately I thought back to my time at Mccann Erickson during my placement there in the summer just gone. Whilst I was there I produced some good work and concepts for the likes of Sainsbury’s, NHS, Peugeot and Scholl and this gave me the confidence to believe that I could potentially be able to work there in the future. I expressed my interest in doing a brief for them. My response was a positive one but I was told almost all advertising agencies require people to work in teams, one being a copywriter and one an art director, which wasn’t a problem for me as I explained I have worked with someone, called James Clancy, collaboratively on a number of projects in the past. This led to them asking if I could work on a live brief alongside James for them in the near future to see how good we can be. Unfortunately James was in Australia at the time and I had no contact with him but I knew he would relish the opportunity so I provisionally accepted their offer and told them I would be in touch. So when the opportunity of a self initiated project came up with college I knew straight away that we could forge a link with this and the industry and get the best of both worlds. The only potential obstacles were the opposing ideas of tutors wanting us to be as creative as possible, without having any boundaries, and the realistic world of advertising where politics and guidelines have to be strictly adhered to. Having a balance between the two is somewhat difficult but it is an invaluable learning curve.

I got in touch with James via e-mail and he gave it the go ahead so I approached Mccann Erickson with the brief and I was lucky enough to get a speedy reply. This was needed as the choice of brief was to a strict timescale and I had to go back and forth contacting between my creative partner, my tutors and Mccann Erickson themselves before I could get the final answer to whether the brief was feasible to be marked in accordance with the University mark scheme.

The brief itself to promote vitamins to an older teen market.

Teenagers cover a vast spectrum so think late teenagers once

they begin making decisions about their own health/food.

Think why they would take an interest ( weight, skin,

looks, sport, helps me party etc) and about the barriers to them taking

supplements ( cost, can’t be bothered, too much of

a kid thing, too much of a responsible adult thing,

don’t like swallowing, never up in morning, boring,

‘why do I need them...I’ve got youth on my side’ etc).

Completely re-think:

1.what the suppliment would be

eg multi vit for looks, multivit with energy enhancers etc.,

2. how its delivered – drink, tablet etc

3. its name and packaging

4. ‘Shelf presence’ in-store - Retail Toolkit e.g.POS, gondola ends or full Counter unit, shelf talker, shelf wobblers

5. Web redesign/navigation– microsite or own website

6. promote its image profile on the high street

and beyond considering which channels will interupt them and get noticed.

Use advertising or gorilla/viral tactics or celeb endorsement, events etc. Suggest which channels would be best.

7. Any other ideas which would spin off or help as long as they are completely relevant to the core idea. eg. Merchandise, life store, social networking use.

8. Importantly, consider who you are targeting...the teenager or...

The solution we came up with was to create a whole new brand which would enable you to stretch to this older target market without alienating existing customers. After lots of discussion and brainstorming over what to call our brand, we decided upon ‘shine’.

We felt this word encapsulated what we were attempting to put across to the target audience as it works on so many levels DICTIONARY DEF: 1 the sun shone emit light, beam, radiate, gleam, glow, glint, glimmer, sparkle, twinkle, glitter, glisten, shimmer, flash, flare, glare, fluoresce; literary glister, coruscate.

2 she shone his shoes polish, burnish, buff, wax, gloss.

3 they shone at gymnastics excel, be outstanding, be brilliant, be successful, stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment