Search This Blog

Friday 6 November 2009

Portfolio Visit - Mccann Erickson




Due to an absentee during the D&AD Portfolio Surgeries I was able to go and see a second person in the industry to go over my portfolio. Ironically it was a member of Mccann Erickson who I had a placement with over the summer and am involved with ongoing projects with. He recognised me and asked me about University and the projects I was working on at Mccann as I had never really spoken to him during my time with the agency. I asked about what they were doing at the moment aswell and possible placements in the future.

We then proceeded to look through my work, some of which he recognised, and we discussed each project as we went along. Some people I have found look over your work and then go back through to speak about each piece but we were within limited 20 minute slots although incidentally we overran that time.

I got some constructive criticism on how focussed my Age Concern work was from an advertising perspective although he did like the concept. He particularly liked my elegant typography and the look of my work but had some pointers of what I could do to develop my work further which was great advice as it comes from a different perspective.

Again the amount of work I had in my portfolio was questioned as there was so much but I wanted to make the most of my time there to crit all of my work and get opinions. I have found that opinions vary dramatically about pieces of work from person to person so it is very hard to get your portfolio right for everyone.

He liked my branding work but suggested that I let each logo breathe on their own page each as having two per page is quite confusing and looks like one design. Something else he liked was havin work for small brands aswell as big clients that you tend to get during D&AD briefs etc..

The visit was very beneficial and I will heed the advice to make my portfolio much stronger aswell as some of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment