Search This Blog

Friday 6 November 2009

Portfolio Visit - Magnetic North




During the D&AD Portfolio Surgeries I went to see someone from Magnetic North who produce some great interactive work. They had just done the digital design workshop that I wasn't involved in so they are obviously held in high regard by D&AD. The response to my portfolio of work was highly positive and they particularly liked my attention to design and typography. His favourite pieces of work were the Berghaus billboards and the Great British Blood Drive logo. I had some constructive crticism also which is what I look for most in a book crit. This included taking some work out as I had a lot of work to get through. The schoolmail logo was too similar to the Gmail logo which I agree with.

I was also advised to taylor my portfolio to different agencies depending on what they produce most in their work. Something that is of much debate is whether to put scamps and ideas into your portfolio but Magnetic North are well into that. Possibly even more than the finished article itself as it shows more about the person and the way they work as well as the thought processes behind their ideas.

He appreciated the clean, effective design of the portfolio although he felt it cud take more risks with the layout. Also with the Ministry of Sound animation you can't see that we filmed it all ourselves so to have some of the storyboard as part of the green screen visuals would look great aswell as showing exactly what went on.

I feel overall they talked a lot of sense and were very positive about me which is good for confidence and the advice was something I will definitely take into account.

No comments:

Post a Comment